Monday, October 27, 2008

Diogenes Laertisu

Diogenes Laertius
According to chapter one of our study book, this guy is called the father of of philosopy. He divided the presocratic era into several sections. I think they are:1. Ionic or Mylesian school which consists primarily of three big named philosophers from Greece: thales, anaximander, and anaximenes.2. The Pthyagorus school - which was centered in Italy, but I believe he came from Greece. Does anyone know if this is correct? I understand that his school was more spiritually motivated. I can't remember the others and I don't have my book with me!Who knows what Thales is remembered for? I also think that Hippocrates was one of the later names.

I did some research on what Laertius said about Pythagorous and found this interesting tidbit that might tie him into the bible... Diogenes writes, "And as he was a young man, and devoted to learning, he quitted his country, and got initiated into all the Grecian and barbarian sacred mysteries. Accordingly, he went to Egypt, on which occasion Polycrates gave him a letter of introduction to Amasis; and he learnt the Egyptian language, as Antipho tells us, in his treatise on those men who have been conspicuous for virtue, and he associated with the Chaldaeans and with the Magi."

Cool, huh?

No comments: